Sunday 26 February 2012

I would like to think that you are always honest.

"To be honest"  I seriously cannot stand when people say "to be honest".  To me it implies that everything else that person has said has been a lie.  I was trying to explain that to my 6 year old neice A. last week.  I think she totally got it.  Now I feel kind of bad for telling her not to say it, she was pretty cute as she was explaining something to me and interjected the phrase "to be honest" into her ernest explanation.

Why do people say that anyway?  Is it supposed to make the listener feel special, as though they are being taken into a confidence?  As soon as I hear that phrase I assume that I am about to be told a lie, or something super bitchy.  The super bitchy part I am pretty cool with, but the lying?  Not so much.

3 comments:

  1. When I say it, it usually precedes something embarrassing. Something that I wouldn't normally tell. Something that I wouldn't lie about, but that I would withhold. So for me, I say it when I'm laying it all out there and being brutally honest about something that I wouldn't normally even share.

    But I completely understand why it hits you the way it does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, then I want to sit by you some time when you are having a "to be honest" moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Penny. You sit by me already, since you read my blog. :) I'm brutally honest there, and I reveal things that I don't easily reveal in my real life. It's my safe place.

    Glad to have you sit next to me. :)

    ReplyDelete